Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Obligation To Let the World Know About Mike O'Brien

Okay, as soon as I saw his videos on YouTube, I knew he was the perfect comedian. He's committed, quirky, dorky, uncomfortable and funny (obviously). My friend showed me his series of videos on YouTube called, "Seven Minutes in Heaven", where he stands in a closet with a celebrity and asks them weird questions and makes them improv short scenes. And of course, at the end, the guest and Mike share an awkward kiss.
The reason why this fits into my blog is that he is currently a writer for Saturday Night Live (started in 2009). Mike, 35, has previously performed and graduated from Second City and Improv Olympic in Chicago. These are the prime improv institutions in our nation. Sounds stupid but it's a pretty big deal. He has since worked on some of my favorite sketches like "Smash Mouth Closet" for SNL. I am so mad I could not find a video online of this sketch but it was so funny. I can't even try to explain it, you would just have to see it. Also, like Sarah Schneider, he can be seen as an extra in numerous scenes.
He is slowly becoming more famous because of his great online success, Yahoo! has recently started linking his videos on their homepage. Odd choice, but I'm happy for him. Also, the Chicago Tribune did an interesting piece on him for their Arts and Entertainment section. Click here to read and read Mike's Guide to Making Out with Famous People.
I strongly recommend as well that you look around his website. As first I thought I was on the wrong site, but then I realized, that's the joke. Click here to see it.


Here is Mike with Jack McBrayer from '30 Rock'. As awkward and awkward gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment