Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ode to Kristen Wiig

Kristen Wiig. She writes, acts and is effing hilarious.
Being an avid watcher of SNL, I  loved her from her start on the show. And this summer when Bridesmaids premired; icing on the cake.
Her characters are so original but still so weird. She is not afraid of how gross or ugly she'll have to look. I admire this about her. Most actresses refuse to wear certain things or look a certain way on sets but Kristen has defied this to the nth degree. In my opinion, she brought back the demand of original characters on the show. The only person in recent years who have done this as amazingly as her is Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler, Jimmy Fallon and Cheri Oteri. Bill Hader also does amazing original characters since he can do crazy voices and faces but Kristen still has him beat if you ask me. Some of her original characters are Judy Grimes, the unsure travel reporter, Target Lady, Triangle Sally, Dooneese, the ugly sister on The Lawrence Welk Show and Aunt Linda. All of these are outrageously clever. 

My favorite has to be the Target Lady. She is the overly enthusiastic Target employee who talks like she adds R's into every word. I don't know why but that is the funniest part for me. And I like to talk like that at home until my mom pees her pants from laughing. If you haven't seen any of the Turrget Lady skits you are definitely missing out. Here is a clip so you don't have an excuse.This features Justin Timberlake as her friend Peg.


Recently she co-wrote Bridesmaids (which I hope you saw) which was nominated for an Oscar for Best Writing, Original Screenplay. They didn't stand a chance against Woody Allen and the other film nerd movies but it was cool to see that comedies aren't forgotten about when it comes to award season. 


Also, her success on SNL has brought more female comedians to the forefront and helping what Tina Fey started. Kristen once said: 
"There's definitely a difference with men and women in comedy. If you wrote a list of the last 20 comedies in the past four years, a lot of them are based on a male character. That's just kind of way that it is. There are some movies that break the mold, but for the most part women in comedies play that lesser role. I think that's changing, and I think that's great thing. There are so many funny women out there."

If you are still not conviced, I urge you to watch this clip of Kristen doing her character, Judy Grimes. I don't want to explain too much of it because it is too great.  This shit takes talent.


1 comment:

  1. I loved this post, because I LERV Kristen Wiig and especially Terget lady! I enjeryed ther videos yew persted becerse i lerv to lerk back on her erther perfermences. This post was as claaaassssic as Peg.

    ReplyDelete